Health & Safety Newsletter February 2018

Construction firm lands fine of £100 000 for fatal fall

A construction  firm which erects steel-framed buildings has been fined after a worker fell 6.3 metres from a roof and died.

The HSE investigation found that the employee was installing roof sheets on a new agricultural building when the incident            happened.

The construction firm didn’t provide suitable edge protection. It also failed to ensure that there was a sufficient risk assessment in place and did not make sure that those installing the edge protection and supervising the work had received adequate training.

The Devon-based firm pleaded guilty to breaching reg 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act at Plymouth Magistrates’ Court. The firm was fined £100 000 and ordered to pay £11 060 costs.


Steel producer fined £14.m after death of worker

A steel producer has today been fined after the death of 26-year-old maintenance electrician.

Hull Crown Court heard how the electrician and employee of Tata Steel, was examining a crane as part of the inspection. Whilst carrying out this work, an overhead crane travelled over the cage that he was working in, trapping and crushing him. The man died instantly.

The HSE found Tata Steel had failed in enforcing its own safety procedures, despite having two previous incidents. The            investigation also revealed that Tata Steel failed to put in place essential control measures which would have prevented the  overhead crane from even being in operation.

The steel producer was fined £1.4m with costs of £140 000 after pleading guilt to breaching Section 2 and 3 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.


Scaffolder to face jail after he was caught working up the side of a building wearing a harness that was not attached to anything

A scaffolder faces up to six months in prison after a retired health and safety inspector took a picture of him working at 60 feet whilst wearing a harness that was not secured to anything.

The incident was captured on 30th June last year as he worked to renovate the windows on a Grade II-listed building in               Manchester.

When he attended Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court, he admitted a breach of health and safety law.

He pleaded guilty to failing to take reasonable care for either himself or others who could’ve been affected by his reckless act.

District Judge Mark Hadfield postponed the case when the scaffolder, who did not have legal representation, admitted he hadn’t realised he could be sent to jail for the offence.

Following the hearing, HM inspector of health and safety Matt Greenly explained: ‘The potential for his actions was the death of a young man.

‘He chose for some unknown reason to take his life in his own hands that day.’




This entry was posted in Health and Safety News, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.